Hello, West Chester,
As fall continues its run of loveliness, I’ve been researching some fun topics to discuss with your neighbors this weekend once you dispense with – this weather? Gorgeous. And the Halloween Parade? Short and sweet but candy stations weren’t as big a deal as I thought.
- Leaf pick up schedule posted. This is a great topic because the next time you see your neighbors they will likely be outside dealing with the aftermath of all this loveliness. Once you get past the weather (see above), conversation will quickly turn to raking vs. blowing then what to do with all those piles? That’s where you come in with your wealth of knowledge. You’re welcome. Pickups begin Monday, Oct. 30.
- Road work. Unless you’ve been out of town you’ve probably noticed street construction in the borough is on the rise. If you are anything like me you’ve been rerouted at least three times this week. Check out this list of projects and hopefully next week will go smoother.
- The French bakery is offering baking lessons. Because who wouldn’t want to make their amazing breads at home (or know you could if you ever wanted to)? Visit the La Baguette Magique or their website for more details.
- WCU homecoming is this weekend. The Golden Rams will be taking on the East Stroudsburg Warriors at Farrell stadium. Saturday 10 am – there is a parade (beginning at Church and Rosedale). The game starts at 2 pm. All other times expect town to be overrun with students, parents, and alumni.
- Should local authorities be able to exempt residents from paying property taxes? PA legislators want to know what you think, so they’ve added the following question to the November 7th ballot:
“Shall the Pennsylvania Constitution be amended to permit the General Assembly to enact legislation authorizing local taxing authorities to exclude from taxation up to 100 percent of the assessed value of each homestead property within a local taxing jurisdiction, rather than limit the exclusion to one-half of the median assessed value of all homestead property, which is the existing law?”
It’s a complicated issue that still leaves the question – if not property taxes, where would revenue come from? West Chester Area School District thinks you should vote no. Here is an argument for the measure and one against. Discuss.
Pictured above: La Baguette Magique bread of the month: Apple & Cider. Perfect for hearty discussions. (Hurry before it’s gone.)